Tips and Hints
- Maximize your sales by bringing Little T best sellers.
- Know what we accept and what we can’t accept.
- Work the sale to get a firsthand look at best practices for item prep and pricing. You will quickly understand the importance of some of our tips.
- Join our Facebook group to discuss tried-and-true selling strategies, get questions answered quickly, and stay up on all the latest info about the sale.
- To start, knock 70%-75% off the retail price. Keep in mind what you can get the item for at a clearance sale and then take into consideration that it’s slightly used. You will sell more on full price days if you price them reasonably from the beginning. Brand names at fair prices sell best.
- $1-4 for play shirts and shorts
- $3-7 for better pants or shorts
- $6-10 for 2-piece outfits
- $4-8 for jeans
- $6-15 for dresses
- $10-18 for- 3 or 4-piece outfits
Boutique and European brands should be priced a bit higher. This is just a guide. Pricing is completely up to you.
- Let your items go 1/2 price…it’s better to get 1/2 of something than all of nothing!
- Make your items look appealing:
- Fluff them to knock out the wrinkles.
- Pin them so they won’t shift on the hanger.
- Make sure clothing doesn’t smell musty or smoky. Re-wash if necessary.
- Create outfits, add hair accessories, matching hats
- Tag with descriptions that call out brand names, “hardly worn,” “NWT”
- Most shoppers look for very current styles. Consignors who sell current styles make the most money. The clothes are generally worth more and are more likely to sell full price.
- Toys sell better than most anything! If it works, is reasonably priced and is cleaned up, it will sell. Most sell on full price days. We will not accept toys without batteries.
- Wrap puzzles in plastic wrap. Make sure your puzzles have all their pieces…if in doubt, have fun putting it together one last time. : )
- Do not place tape on painted surfaces (ex. tops of train tables, wooden puzzles). When buyers remove the tape, the paint will go with it.
- You’ll probably use quite a few ziploc bags for toy parts & pieces.
- Play sets with many parts & pieces should be packaged to reduce risk of separation. Bag smaller pieces and enclose them inside the larger item. We also provide shrink wrap to secure these items at drop-off.
- Original packaging is ideal. XL or XXL ziploc bags work great, too. Dollar General Stores have XL generic ziplocs for $1!
- Plan to assemble your large items.
- Double check that your larger items have not been recalled: U.S Consumer Product Safety Commission’s website.
Stain Removal Tips
- Grease Stains: For dark spots on dark fabrics, which are usually a grease stain, use Dawn Dishwashing Liquid. Rub into the stain and wash as normal. Almost always works great, even if the item has been dried in the dryer. Occasionally it will take treating twice.
- Yellow Stains: Mix about 1/2 cup dishwashing detergent (such as Cascade) with 1/2 cup of Clorox 2 (the pink liquid) in about 1-2 gallons of water. Soak the stained item in the mixture for several hours, then wash as usual. Works for other types of stains as well.
- We’ve heard great things about Fels-Naptha, available in most any laundry aisle.
- Please send us your stain removal tips… we’d love to hear them!